Senior living complex evacuates due to hazmat exposure
SALT LAKE CITY– A home pesticide device exploded at a senior living apartment, resulting in two residents being airlifted to a hospital for exposer treatment, according to Salt Lake Fire Department.
Salt Lake City Fire received a call to Rendon Terrace Apartments, 158 N 300 W, on Sunday afternoon. Upon arrival, officials confirmed a pesticide cartridge went off. The cartridge contained far too many chemicals, causing the fire alarm to go off.
The complex was evacuated as the pesticides leaked into the vents. Two residents were airlifted to the hospital for exposure treatment. Captian Adam Archuleta said both patients were in stable condition and are being evaluated as a precautionary measure.
Residents have taken shelter with their families or at a nearby church. Evacuees will be let back into the building after ventilation, likely sometime Sunday evening.
No information has been released on the substances inside the cartridge.
Today’s Top Stories
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Interactive map shows where fireworks are off-limits in Utah
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse