Recess to be allowed as instructional time in Utah public schools
SALT LAKE CITY — The state school board passed a rule change allowing recess to be counted as instructional time.
The rule passed unanimously in Wednesday’s board meeting.
“I actually believe this will bring joy to more children, with more opportunity to decompress and to invigorate their minds and their bodies,” said board member Laura Belnap in an interview with KSL NewsRadio.
Public schools are required to have 990 hours in the school year plus try and fit recess in. But this change means they don’t have to choose between class time or recess or cut into recess.
“I just think our kids need opportunities to play,” she said.
Belnap said she got the idea to count recess into the school day when she was visiting another country and saw how they took a ten-minute break every hour. It helped the students and the teachers both decompress.
The rule change also covers breakfast in the classroom. Some schools in lower-income areas offer breakfast to all students after the bell. That time could also count for instructional time.
Belnap says this allows parents and educators on the local level, through organizations like school community councils, to decide how to structure the school day.
Meanwhile, the state school board was also talking on Thursday about best practices for recess: what it should look like, how many adults should be there, and how there can be an environment for success.
Board member Jennie Earl says those discussions are not necessarily about structure, but about supervision.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says