SANDY, Utah — The Sandy Police Department is mourning after the death of Chief William “Bill” O’Neal.
Their statement says:
“It is with heavy heart and deep regret to inform you of the untimely passing of Chief William (Bill) O’Neal. Chief O’Neal passed away at 4:30 p.m. on January 12, 2019. Information regarding the details of the services will be forthcoming.”
The statement asks people to keep his family in their thoughts and prayers.
Chief O’Neal was serving in that position since July 2018. He was 48 years old.
When he worked patrol, he was one of 3 officers who found Elizabeth Smart.
The department says Deputy Chief Greg Severson will be acting as interim Chief.
Reaction and condolences have been coming in from other law enforcement agencies around Utah since Sunday’s announcement.
- Amber Alert issued for missing six-year-old child (pageviews: 4037)
- Amber Alert issued for missing six-year-old child | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 3481)
- Man arrested after two Latter-day Saint missionaries stabbed in Texas | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1468)
- Neffs Fire still burning in Salt Lake County | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1257)
- Coronavirus Tracker (pageviews: 1160)
- Body of a woman found in South Salt Lake Monday (pageviews: 853)
- (not set) (pageviews: 744)
- Neffs Fire still burning in Salt Lake County (pageviews: 740)