Recycling plant in Salt Lake City plans for multi-million dollar upgrade
SALT LAKE CITY – The Waste Management plant on 900 South processes 12 tons of recyclables per hour. But once they complete a major upgrade to the recycling plant, 35 tons of bottles, cans, and cardboard will flow through the facility every 60 minutes.
The recycling plant manager Walt Mathiason says the company plans to spend $16 million to install several optical sensors that can detect more materials that could be recycled.
“We’ll be able to really increase the amount of material that we can recycle. [And better sort] the good stuff from the bad stuff and market it as clean, recyclable commodities,” Mathiason says.
They will also install better sorters, updated screens to prevent plastic bags and Christmas lights from clogging up the machines, and three new bailers so items can be shipped faster.
Mathiason says many places still want recyclable goods, even though China, India, and Malaysia recently restricted their markets.
“Overseas we’re shipping to Vietnam, to Korea, to Indonesia. And then for aluminum and plastic [there are] plenty of domestic customers,” Mathiason says.
Salt Lake City contracts with Waste Management for its recycling needs. Because of the increased volume, the company and the city hope to be able to take in more recycling from other parts of the state.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- San Juan county crash leaves one dead, one injured
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Biden signs bipartisan gun safety bill into law: ‘God willing, it’s going to…
- Elizabeth Smart says she was sexually assaulted on a plane
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- The best strategies for dealing with IRS tax harassment | You have options!