Fatal rollover crash in Holladay
HOLLADAY, Utah — Police are closing Holladay Boulevard going both directions at 5300 South due to a fatal rollover crash.
Rollover crash reported on 5313 South Holladay Blvd. Use caution as emergency crews are not yet on scene. Not sure how many lanes or which directions are affected as there are no cameras in this area. pic.twitter.com/mR2cX2KiKf
— Heather Kelly (@KSLHeatherKelly) February 5, 2020
Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray says the vehicle was speeding at around 60 mph when it rolled ejecting 22-year-old Sontiago Lobato from Taylorsville.
BREAKING: Fatal rollover at 53rd South on Holladay Blvd. PIO Melody Gray says a male in his 20s is deceased. pic.twitter.com/5eltAGIAHE
— John Wojcik (@JWojcikKSL) February 5, 2020
A close call
Cops say Lobato was speeding southbound and came close to hitting another vehicle.
“The vehicle veered off, almost striking another vehicle, and ended up losing control and rolling that vehicle,” explains Sergeant Gray.
Police reported the fatality after Lobato was transferred to Intermountain Medical Center.
Closing the road
As of 9:00 a.m., a block of Holladay Boulevard remained closed due to wreckage from the crash and various debris.
“He did hit some garbage cans,” she explains. “There is debris from the vehicle from both the interior and exterior of the vehicle breaking off as it rolled.”
Unified Police say the damage is severe enough that a road closure will remain in place for quite some time.
“It [Holladay Boulevard] will be closed down for the next several hours,” says Sergeant Gray.
In hindsight, police say this fatal rollover crash could have been much worse considering the time of day and the proximity to Cottonwood Elementary School.
“There’s been joggers out here, little kids will start traveling to school,” she explains. “Speed is one of those things that when you come on a curve like this can cause you some great difficulty.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips