Coronavirus: Utah man in isolation after testing positive

Feb 14, 2020, 5:43 AM | Updated: Mar 12, 2020, 9:15 am
coronavirus utah...
YOKOHAMA, JAPAN - FEBRUARY 10: An emergency services vehicle drives away from the Diamond Princess cruise ship at Daikoku Pier where the ship is being resupplied and newly diagnosed coronavirus cases taken for treatment as it remains in quarantine after a number of the 3,700 people on board were diagnosed with coronavirus, on February 10, 2020 in Yokohama, Japan. 130 passengers are now confirmed to be infected with coronavirus as Japanese authorities continue treating people on board. The new cases bring the total number of infections to 156 in Japan, the largest number outside of China. (Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)
(Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)

JAPAN– A Tooele County man is the first known person from Utah to have tested positive for the Coronavirus.

John Haering is now in isolation a hospital in Tokyo, after developing a fever and suffering flu-like symptoms.

coronavirus utah

John Haering, with wife Melanie Haering, is the first Utahn that has tested positive for Coronovirus. Photo courtesy of Deseret News

“We are really grateful that he has been tested. At least we know where we stand,” his wife Melanie Haering told KSL Newsradio.Melanie described her husband’s symptoms as including a fever, nausea and a rash.  She says his fever first developed on Monday.


“There is no treatment only a waiting game til the virus subsides. He gets tested again in 48 hours and if it’s positive again, he waits another 48 hours for another test. If that test is negative, he gets tested in 24 hrs and if two tests in a row come up negative he is free to leave,” she said.

Meanwhile, Melanie and other passengers remain quarantined on the ship where they have been confined since January 6th.

“Our son, JJ, and his wife, Mindy Haering, have arranged for cases of water, toothpaste, shampoo and soap to be dropped to him by the local LDS mission president,” she wrote on Facebook. “He has only been given tea and he has to purchase his own water and these toiletries. Thank you for everyone’s, prayers, love and energy given to both of us during this time.”

She also told KSL that she’s sending him an Amazon care package from her stateroom.

The Haerings are one of two Utah couples on the ship, which carried thousands of passengers, on a 29-day trip that included stops in Kagoshima, Tokyo, Okinawa, Hong Kong, Vietnam and Thailand. St. George resident Mark Jorgensen, who is traveling with his wife, Jerri, said they began hearing about the coronavirus — now named COVID-19 — a day or two into the cruise, although they weren’t worried about being exposed to it.

Jorgensen tells the Deseret News that after a trip that included the Lunar New Year in Hong Kong, they docked in Okinawa.  He says it was one of the last stops and that the screen process was so tight it took four hours for passengers to leave the ship.

“We didn’t see much of that place,” Jorgensen said. “We walked around a couple of hours, and then spent two more days at sea. Then, on the last day, we packed our bags before dinner, put them in the hall, and then they announced at dinner that someone who started the cruise in Tokyo had gotten off in Hong Kong because he wasn’t feeling well. He didn’t tell anyone he was sick. He just got off and stayed off. A couple of days later, he got tested, and it was coronavirus.”

He says during the next 24 hours, they were screening people, finding several with temperatures.  After they were tested, ten people were found to be positive.  A decision was made to quarantine passengers for two weeks.  The quarantine was scheduled to end on February 19.  The Princess Cruise line announced a voluntary guest disembarkation plan that allows guests to move to housing facilities in Japan until the quarantine is lifted.

Jorgensen kept track of the number of patients diagnosed each day — 10, 10, 2, 65, 38, 44. Now with 218 patients, the ship is reported to have the highest concentration of coronavirus victims outside China.

“I for some reason am just not worried. It is what it is, and we’ll just deal with it the best that we can,” Melanie Haering told KSL.

Today’s Top Stories

All News

alpine school district...
Chris Jacobs

Alpine School District welcomes 85,000 students back to school

In total, Alpine School District, the state's largest school district, welcomed 85,000 students to 93 schools.
13 hours ago
Elizabeth Weiler

Update: Suspect in domestic violence incident arrested

SPANISH FORK, Utah — A 21-year-old woman police have been searching for in connection with a domestic violence incident has been found.  Madeline Bernadette Lopez from Herriman was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of domestic violence. The Utah County Sheriff’s Office said Lopez endangered her 13-month-old child and ex-boyfriend with a taser after breaking into his […]
13 hours ago
Three suspects are believed to have gotten help fleeing police in a murder case. (Mengshin Lin/Dese...
Elizabeth Weiler

Three arrested for obstruction of justice in WinCo murder case

SALT LAKE CITY — Three more people have been arrested in connection to a murder case that happened in May at a South Salt Lake WinCo.  Police say the three have been helping four murder suspects in their continued efforts to flee from police, after being charged with murder and robbery back in May. The […]
13 hours ago
Police in Taylorsville at the scene of the shooting...
Samantha Herrera

Two people dead in Taylorsville after shooting

An early morning West Valley shooting has left a man and a woman dead.
13 hours ago
Photo credit: Washington County Sheriff's Office....
Mark Jones

Washington County authorities investigating shooting of seven cows

Authorities in southern Utah are investigating the shooting of seven cows, which they say took place over the weekend.
13 hours ago
Easton Oliverson, a member of the Snow Canyon Little League all-star team, is in the hospital after...
Aimee Cobabe

Utah Little League player, after fall from bunk bed, is making progress

The Utah Little League baseball player who fell off a bunk bed earlier this week is making progress following surgery, his father said in a social media post.
2 days ago

Sponsored Articles

Coronavirus: Utah man in isolation after testing positive