MANILA, Philippines (AP) — An Utah woman charged with human trafficking for allegedly attempting to smuggle a 6-day-old baby out of the Philippines inside a sling bag has been arrested on an additional count of kidnapping.
The Utah woman arrested for kidnapping, Jennifer Talbot, who was out on bail while facing the human trafficking charge, was presented to reporters in Manila on Wednesday by officials from the National Bureau of Investigation. She said she objected to the press conference without her attorney and the embassy present.
Prosecutors say she planned to board a Delta Air Lines flight to the U.S. with the baby on Sept. 4. After discovering the baby, airline staff called immigration personnel, who arrested Talbot at the airport. The baby was turned over to government welfare personnel.
- Utah's number of deaths from COVID-19 jumps to 8 (pageviews: 3800)
- Emergency responders urge tourists to stay home after rescue in Emery County (pageviews: 3191)
- Catch this week's supermoon, biggest and brightest of year (pageviews: 2806)
- President Nelson calls on Latter-day Saints for "solemn assembly" (pageviews: 2368)
- Utah officials report first COVID-19 diagnosis at long-term care facility (pageviews: 2349)
- Five additional coronavirus deaths reported in Utah (pageviews: 1989)
- Utah COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations increase over weekend (pageviews: 1581)
- Salt Lake City and County mayors call for statewide shutdown (pageviews: 1083)