Costco bans non-members from their food court
Feb 26, 2020, 11:09 AM | Updated: 12:28 pm
UNITED STATES — Have a hankering for slice of pizza and frozen yogurt at the Costco food court? Starting in March, you’ll need to have a membership to enjoy it.
Signs are popping up in many Costco locations across the U.S. which will prohibit buying their famous $1.50 hot dog and drink combo unless you have a $60 membership card.
Now, critics are crying foul saying a lot of families rely on Costco’s food court because of how affordable it is.
Costco Instagram page confirms food court details
An Instagram post from @CostcoDeals confirmed there is a coming change, but that it will be implemented on different dates that may vary by store. However, corporate headquarters hasn’t given official word on the change.
Do you take the family to Costco’s food court for an inexpensive dinner? You may be out of luck if you don’t have a membership at the bulk retail store. Find out why on @kslnewsradio in 5-minutes pic.twitter.com/kzYhIZ7FuZ
— Heather Kelly (@KSLHeatherKelly) February 26, 2020
Enforcement isn’t a “new” idea
Apparently, the bulk retail chain is tired of semi-free loaders. The Instagram post said an active membership card is required to purchase items from the Costco food court starting March 19th.
A customer service representative told Fox Business the rule is already in place, but has been difficult to enforce.
In Utah, the food court is accessible to anyone. It’s unknown if the policy will roll out to all locations. But social media posts are blasting the Instagram posts, calling the $60 annual membership to use the food court ‘classist’ and a “trash move strictly driven by money.”
View this post on Instagram
⚡️UPDATE: THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED! May still vary per store and roll out date may vary as well… . 🤔Received a ton of DMs on this today…and need some #Costco Employees to chime in and confirm or deny and let us know if this is true or not and if true be nationwide? . 🌭🍕To us it makes complete sense! Not sure why it’s taken Costco so long to implement…I mean you have to have a membership for gas….Any employees out there that can help clarify this?😍
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Utah House leader signals change to special election law to fill Rep. Stewart’s seat
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Teenager drowns at Palisade State Park after getting caught in storm, officials say
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Salt Lake City police investigate after fatal overnight shooting outside of New Yorker night club
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Four killed, including toddler, after plane crashed in Virginia