Utah jobs doing well
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s economy is doing well according to the latest jobs report.
Joining Utah’s Morning News on Wednesday to discuss the January jobs report, Nate McDonald from Utah’s Department of Workforce Services says there have been a few little changes but that Utah is in a good spot and that wages are growing.
— Workforce Services (@JobsUT) March 4, 2020
“We did see some slight changes from the previous month in December. We saw our unemployment rate tick up slightly to 2.5% and our job growth slow to 2.9%. But these are still very strong numbers, we’re not seeing a trend of anything dip so we’re not worried at all.”
McDonald’s says that the fastest growing industries in Utah are Leasure and Hospitality which isn’t a surprise for the winter recreation months of January. The second fastest-growing industry is in construction which McDonald says shows that there is still a lot of good growth across the state.
“We still hold on to the fact that we are a very diverse economy in the state of Utah. We still have health services jobs which is one of our largest and fastest-growing. We’re still seeing strong numbers in Information Technology and Manufacturing. We’re very comfortable and confident that we’ll have a strong economy.”
Hear the full conversation below
Today’s Top Stories
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- The bizarre history of Groundhog Day
- Salt Lake City police investigating shooting, one person hurt
- Four elk killed as herd gets too close to I-215 and I-80
- Bill to set target water level for the Great Salt Lake dries up
- Opinion: Is sportsmanship dead in high school basketball?
- Davis County officials charge suspect in Layton Amber Alert
- One man dead, suspect on the run after Glendale shooting