Super Tuesday votes and delegate counts could take time in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — It could take some time before we know just how many people voted in the record-breaking first Super Tuesday presidential primary in Utah – or exactly how many delegates go to which Democratic candidates.
Many Utahns voted by mail, and the last day to get those ballots postmarked was Monday. That means thousands of outstanding votes could trickle into county clerks’ offices over the next few days.
2020 has officially become the highest turnout Presidential Primary Election in Utah state history at 32.5% active voter participation (479,771 votes) – and still counting!
Still want to vote? Polls close at 8pm.
— Vote Utah (@ElectionsUtah) March 4, 2020
Thousands of people also registered to vote and voted in person on Super Tuesday in Utah.
The Utah Democratic Party says it will also take a few days to figure out the final allocation of Utah’s 29 delegates and six super delegates.
A candidate needs at least 15 percent of the vote either at the state level and in Utah’s four congressional districts to qualify for delegates.
The parties split the pledged delegates into statewide and district-level groups.
On the Republican side, President Donald Trump is likely to get the lion’s share of Utah’s Republican delegates.
KSL NewsRadio will keep you up-to-date at this site as more information becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Brigham City Police locate missing teenager
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- A 21-year-old man formally charged in fatal Ogden shooting
- West Valley police searching for suspect in apartment stabbing