SALT LAKE CITY — Out of concern for COVID-19 coronavirus, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has closed the Seattle Washington Temple. In a statement, the Church said this closure was in response to the Washington Governor’s request “that no large gatherings be held.”
The Seattle Temple will be open until noon Saturday afternoon. A Seattle temple worker confirmed all weddings scheduled will be postponed until April 1st when the temple reopens to members.
To further honor Gov. Jay Inslee’s request, church officials have also canceled stake conferences and priesthood leadership councils in the state of Washington.
However, smaller gatherings such as sacrament meeting will continue in some areas. Church leadership asks members to contact their local priesthood leaders for more information.
This closure follows several other actions taken by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to comply with the direction offered by public health organizations in various nations.
Temples in Rome, Italy; Seoul, Korea; Sapporo, Japan; and Taipei, Taiwan has also been temporarily closed.
Missionaries working in multiple countries on the Asian continent have been reassigned away from cities that may be at a greater risk for COVID-19.
Other missionaries who were scheduled to serve in missions on the Asian continent have been asked to postpone their start date, or receive a temporary assignment.
- Utah lifts gathering restrictions on private property, switches back to “transmission index” – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 12527)
- Utah lifts gathering restrictions on private property, switches back to "transmission index" (pageviews: 8134)
- Church leaders join Utah politicians urging at-home Thanksgiving – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 2644)
- President Nelson: A message of hope and healing – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1135)
- Hogle Zoo hosts 'ZooLights' event for free throughout December (pageviews: 1046)
- How AI faces are being weaponized online (pageviews: 991)
- US agency ascertains Biden as winner, lets transiton begin (pageviews: 832)
- Ceremonial Temple groundbreaking Saturday in McAllen, Texas – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 734)