Police searching for suspected carjackers who couldn’t drive stick shift
MIDVALE — Early Sunday morning a 20-year-old male was the victim of an attempted carjacking. Police say he was forced to drive because the suspected carjackers did not know how to drive a stick shift.
According to police, the victim arrived at the Brighton Place apartments around 5:15 a.m. when he was confronted by an undetermined number of male suspects.
Detective Kevin Mallory from the UPD said, “when they tried to carjack him they realized that they couldn’t drive a stick, which is what his car was.”
The victim was then forced back into his car at gunpoint and the carjackers made him drive them to an undisclosed location in South Salt Lake.
After beating up the victim, the suspected carjackers took his wallet and phone. They were, at that point, able to somehow drive off with the victim’s car.
The victim was left with a head injury and a laceration but is in decent shape, Mallory said.
The carjacking was reported at the time of the initial incident to the UPC Midvale precinct by the two girls that he was with at the time of the carjacking. About an hour later the victim reported the incident to the Millcreek precinct.
Police are still looking for the suspects and the vehicle. A description of the vehicle has not been released because the suspects are armed.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Authorities swat down rumors surrounding unsolved killings of 4 University of Idaho students
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement