Utah County confirms first COVID-19 patient
UTAH COUNTY– The Utah County Health Department (UCHD) confirmed its first COVID-19 patient on Thursday, the same day the state revealed a total of 51 cases, ten from out-of-state visitors. The new patient brings the total to 52.
In a press release, Utah County health officials said the patient who tested positive for COVID-19 is a male adult, over the age of 18, and has not been hospitalized.
UCHD believes the patient was exposed to the virus by local transmission in the community.
According to the statement, the patient attended one day of work while symptomatic. UCHD has notified “appropriate locations and individuals of potential exposure,” and has told those affected to quarantine at home.
“Quarantine at home means individuals should not leave home for ANY reason, except when advised by their health care provider to seek medical care in person. They should not go to work, school, or any public place, including stores, malls, theatres, restaurants, or any other retail establishment. They should not visit family or friends or have any visitors at home,” said UCHD.
As recommended by UCHD, those exposed to COVID-19 should frequently wash their hands, avoid touching their face and wipe down commonly used areas and objects often.
If someone in the quarantined household becomes symptomatic, “they should isolate the ill person away from the other members of the household and contact a health care provider,” advised UCHD.
State and local health officials are monitoring those in home quartine.
Symptoms of COVID-19 may include cough, fever over 100° F, or shortness of breath.
Resources for more information:
State of Utah: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case
- Chinese President Xi Jinping tells troops to focus on ‘preparing for war’
- What to do after a fender bender in snowy weather?
- Layton man taken into custody for allegedly recording women in restroom
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident