Trump says HUD is suspending foreclosures and evictions
(CNN) — President Donald Trump said Wednesday that his administration will suspend foreclosures and evictions on homeowners at least until the end of next month.
Speaking at the White House, Trump said the move from the Department of Housing and Urban Development would provide relief during the coronavirus outbreak.
“The Department of Housing and Urban Development is providing immediate relief to renters and homeowners by suspending all foreclosures and evictions until the end of April,” Trump said.
There are growing fears in the White House and on Capitol Hill that the coronavirus outbreak could send the economy into a damaging recession — and that aggressive intervention by Washington is needed immediately to reverse course.
Republican senators are close to reaching an agreement on the details of the $1 trillion stimulus plan, two GOP sources have told CNN, a package that one Treasury memo suggests could include a combined $500 billion in checks to Americans to address the economic impact of the coronavirus.
Groups of GOP senators met behind closed doors to hammer out the final details, but were facing new pressure from Democrats to include them in the talks in order to quickly reach a bipartisan deal on a proposal more far-reaching than Washington’s intervention during the 2008 financial crisis.
This story has been updated with additional developments Wednesday.
Today’s Top Stories
- Wildlife officials, troopers, maneuver large herd of elk away from I-80
- Pedestrian hit and killed by UTA Frontrunner
- Teachers at West High School walkout in of protest H.B. 215
- Suspects in custody, lockdown lifted after shots fired at Taylorsville High
- Investigation of fatal accident at Provo airport includes witness statements
- Large sinkhole shuts down portion of westbound 1500 North in Lehi
- Utah resolution proposing Friday designation for Halloween celebrations advances
- What you can learn about finances from The Beatles
- Bystander finds dead body in Salt Lake foothills above Beck Street
- A Google analysis shows which words are the most confusing to Americans