Schools across Utah and across the world are beginning a massive distance learning initiative to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, and it’s been a tough transition for some families, who can relate to an Israeli mom whose frustration went viral.
Take it from Shiri Kenigsberg Levi.
Israeli mom on a roll
Levi filmed a video voicing her frustrations on a whim in her car, and it has struck a chord with millions — being translated into more than 20 languages and shared across social media platforms.
Levi told The New York Times that she filmed the video about two weeks ago on the second day of her four children being home and starting their distance learning. She has been surprised at how viral her frustrations have gone.
“Listen, it’s not working, this distance learning thing,” Levi says in the video. “Seriously, it’s impossible!”
“Straight off in the morning, it’s only the second day, millions of WhatsApp messages. I have four kids, may they be healthy, just imagine how many WhatsApps, how many teachers for each child, how many subjects per child,” she continues.
Levi has 4 children: Raz, 15; May, 14; Nir, 10; and Guy, 8. She says that she only has two computers that all of her children have been fighting over all that morning.
We’re all exhausted
She also says she’s been frustrated with some of her children’s teachers.
“One of my daughter’s teachers is living in a dream world, thinks she’ll get up at 8 a.m. to see him on the screen. 8 a.m. she only just manages to roll over in bed,” the 41-year old mother joked.
“Where do you get off?”
She also spoke about the challenges of trying to help her son with his music homework.
“The music teacher of my youngest sent over a musical score this morning. What am I going to do with that information? I can’t read music!”
She goes on to talk about how she has been bouncing from child to child, helping one with math, and the other with science, joking that now, “our children will find out how dumb we are.”
All in good fun
“And all day [its] ‘How’s the child feeling?’ How’s the child feeling? He’s spending the entire day on his cell phone — he’s fine!
“Sleeping fine, eating fine, they don’t stop eating! How’s he feeling? Ask me how I’m feeling!”
Levi finishes the video by saying that even though it had only been two days, she was done.
“You’ve finished us off. It’s only the second day!” she says. “If we don’t die of [coronavirus], we’ll die of distance learning.”
In her interview with the Times, Levi says that the video was all in good humor. She has been amazed at the messages she’s received from all around the world.
As a special education teacher herself, she says that she knows how hard teachers are working to try and keep their students engaged and learning.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
State of Utah: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick (pageviews: 27327)
- Police: Man turns himself in after killing Tinder date (pageviews: 6865)
- FACT CHECK: Can hand sanitizer catch fire in your car? (pageviews: 6175)
- FACT CHECK: Can hand sanitizer catch fire in your car? | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 5062)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is opening 14 more temples (pageviews: 4336)
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 3766)
- Hope In Darkness (pageviews: 3341)
- Police say woman killed after meeting a man on a Tinder date (pageviews: 2473)
- Family releases statement after woman murdered on Tinder date (pageviews: 2074)