Changes to reduce wait times are afoot at DMV
SALT LAKE COUNTY — If you’ve had to use the services of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in the last few weeks, you probably waited for hours to get through the drive-up windows.
All lobby locations of the DMV across the state of Utah are now closed due to coronavirus restrictions. But several changes are now in place to help reduce the wait times.
Scott Smith, Executive Director of Utah Tax Commission, said you can now register your vehicle online, by phone or via mail — even if it is six months past due.
He says this is mostly an issue for people in rural counties who have ATVs, trailers or other recreational type vehicles which are only used on a seasonal basis. The new services allows people to follow Gov. Gary Herbert’s recommendation to stay in their own counties.
License plate and decal replacement can also be done from home. And the third party fee at on-spot registration locations is now being paid the the state. So, Smith said you have no reason to visit a DMV location.
Smith also said, emergency lobby hours are under consideration. He says medical workers or first responders who need to use the few services still required in person might be able to make appointments, in the future.
In the meantime, hours at all drive-thru locations are extended to get through the back-log of people needing to visit a DMV location.
Today’s Top Stories
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Frontier Airlines no longer has a customer service phone line
- Fugitive taken into custody following SWAT stand-off in Taylorsville
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- Church of Jesus Christ announces hack affecting community members’ personal data