All Days of ’47 events canceled over COVID-19 concern
SALT LAKE CITY — The executive management of The Days of ’47, Inc., announced there will be no events marking the Pioneer Day Celebration in Utah this year.
Events that were scheduled to take place throughout the month of July 2020 have been postponed until July 2021.
In a statement, the Board said the cancellations include the parade, rodeo, Pioneers of Progress dinner, the sunrise service, the royalty pageant, and the pops concert.
“The decision was not taken lightly,” said Lane Summerhays, President of the Executive Committee of The Days of ’47 Inc. “It was made only after thorough consideration of input from all applicable sources.
Summerhays cited the Board’s first priority was the implementation of public health guidelines from both state and local officials in Utah.
He said that while he realized that conditions may change between now and July, that production of the events would involve large groups of people, the gathering of which does not fit with current state guidelines.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune system away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- SLC Police arrest man for burglarizing two law offices
- Salt Lake City Police investigate deadly auto-pedestrian collision
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]