Utah State Board of Education wants schools to reopen by the fall
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah State Board of Education would like to see schools reopen this fall. But first, it is asking districts to come up with a safe reopening plan by August 1st.
During a more than three-hour meeting on Thursday, the board outlined recommendations for both public and charter schools to follow.
It included requiring students, staff, and teachers to wear masks, including on buses. Those buses would also be regularly cleaned and sanitized. Schools could also opt to install Plexiglas near the driver.
All non-essential assemblies would be canceled.
Teachers would be encouraged to assign seating in the classroom. That way, if a COVID-19 outbreak ever happens, it would make it easier for health officials to track the virus.
Social distancing plans would also have to be in place, which could include signs guiding everyone in one direction down hallways.
However, remote learning would still be available for children who are at high risk of getting COVID-19, or whose families felt it was still unsafe for their child to go on campus.
Many Utah schools and districts say they have already been working on plans to reopen in the fall.
The board’s recommendations have been sent to Governor Gary Herbert, who will have the final say on them. His signature could come as early as next week.
New coronavirus poll shows most Utahns comfortable again in malls, but not schools and movie theatres
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s GOP Congressmen defeat primary challengers
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary
- Remaining deer, elk permits can be purchased in July
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Takeaways from first primaries since Roe v. Wade overturned
- Gov. Cox announces Utah Supreme Court nominee