SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah State Board of Education would like to see schools reopen this fall. But first, it is asking districts to come up with a safe reopening plan by August 1st.
During a more than three-hour meeting on Thursday, the board outlined recommendations for both public and charter schools to follow.
It included requiring students, staff, and teachers to wear masks, including on buses. Those buses would also be regularly cleaned and sanitized. Schools could also opt to install Plexiglas near the driver.
All non-essential assemblies would be canceled.
Teachers would be encouraged to assign seating in the classroom. That way, if a COVID-19 outbreak ever happens, it would make it easier for health officials to track the virus.
Social distancing plans would also have to be in place, which could include signs guiding everyone in one direction down hallways.
However, remote learning would still be available for children who are at high risk of getting COVID-19, or whose families felt it was still unsafe for their child to go on campus.
Many Utah schools and districts say they have already been working on plans to reopen in the fall.
The board’s recommendations have been sent to Governor Gary Herbert, who will have the final say on them. His signature could come as early as next week.
New coronavirus poll shows most Utahns comfortable again in malls, but not schools and movie theatres
- Post Malone talks Utah and aliens in almost four hour podcast (pageviews: 9675)
- 128 year old Salt Lake Temple time capsule opened (pageviews: 7223)
- Post Malone is the latest star to call Cottonwood Heights his home | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 2208)
- Washington jury awards parents of Susan Powell $98.5 million (pageviews: 2096)
- Transfer trouble? Out-of-state high school football players have their eyes set on Utah (pageviews: 2036)
- Governor approves Logan City's request for mask requirement (pageviews: 1739)
- Post Malone is the latest star to call Cottonwood Heights his home (pageviews: 1737)
- 128 year old Salt Lake Temple time capsule opened (pageviews: 1644)