SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah State Board of Education would like to see schools reopen this fall. But first, it is asking districts to come up with a safe reopening plan by August 1st.
During a more than three-hour meeting on Thursday, the board outlined recommendations for both public and charter schools to follow.
It included requiring students, staff, and teachers to wear masks, including on buses. Those buses would also be regularly cleaned and sanitized. Schools could also opt to install Plexiglas near the driver.
All non-essential assemblies would be canceled.
Teachers would be encouraged to assign seating in the classroom. That way, if a COVID-19 outbreak ever happens, it would make it easier for health officials to track the virus.
Social distancing plans would also have to be in place, which could include signs guiding everyone in one direction down hallways.
However, remote learning would still be available for children who are at high risk of getting COVID-19, or whose families felt it was still unsafe for their child to go on campus.
Many Utah schools and districts say they have already been working on plans to reopen in the fall.
The board’s recommendations have been sent to Governor Gary Herbert, who will have the final say on them. His signature could come as early as next week.
New coronavirus poll shows most Utahns comfortable again in malls, but not schools and movie theatres
- Monolith may be gone from Utah desert, but not from Romania – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 65535)
- Monolith may be gone from Utah desert, but not from Romania (pageviews: 3973)
- Man says he removed the mysterious Utah monolith – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 2683)
- State officials: Utah ready to store, distribute COVID-19 vaccines (pageviews: 2544)
- Are the Covid-19 vaccines safe? (pageviews: 1002)
- Utahns describe COVID-19 vaccines symptoms, feel confident it’s safe – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 782)
- Purdue Pharma pleads guilty to federal criminal charges related to nation’s opioid crisis – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 764)
- California monolith appears after similar structures disappear elsewhere (pageviews: 694)