Life Flight team rattled after crew member seriously hurt in plane crash
CENTERVILLE – There’s an outpouring of love and support for Intermountain’s Life Flight medical team after one of their crew members was critically injured in a small plane crash in Centerville.
When Life Flight was called to the scene of the crash in a field just west of Legacy Highway on Thursday, the crew likely didn’t know they’d be treating one of their own members. Jason Sorensen is a Life Flight medic and was aboard the plane when it went down.
Spokesman Jess Gomez says the Life Flight team rotates their response calls with the University of Utah’s AirMed team, but, in this instance, it was Life Flight’s turn.
“Our helicopter crew did transport Jason to the University of Utah burn center for treatment,” says Gomez.
Sorenson was flown to the hospital in critical condition with burns over most of his body. The plane’s owner, 72-year-old Andre Kostrzewa of Salt Lake City, was taken to the hospital but died from his injuries. Gomez says the team was able to stay calm while they were treating and transporting Sorensen, but, they’re definitely feeling the emotional strain, now.
“Our Life Flight team is a very close-knit family of caregivers, nurses, paramedics and pilots,” Gomez says.
It’s incredibly difficult today. It’s very challenging for our team to know that one of our colleagues, one of our caregivers, is going through a difficult situation.”
On Life Flight’s Facebook page, dozens of well-wishers are leaving comments saying they’re praying for him and his family. Some are calling Sorensen amazing, talented, and “one of the greats.”
Gomez says they’re working with Sorensen’s family to make sure they have everything they need, but they’re also trying to find ways to let the team heal.
“We’re providing counseling services to anybody who needs it,” he said.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Elon Musk speaks out on ‘Twitter Files’ release detailing platform’s inner…
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Jewish leaders praise Entrata for building bridges after company founder sends anti-Semitic email
- COLD season 2 announced: Justice for Joyce Yost
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Drive-in movie theaters could be here to stay!
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Air Force unveils newest stealth bomber aircraft