Seattle Police have begun to clear protesters in an area of the city occupied by protestors called the CHOP after an emergency order issued by Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan.
Due to ongoing violence and public safety issues in the East Precinct/Cal Anderson Park area. Mayor Jenny Durkan has issued an executive order to vacate the area. Seattle police will be in the area this morning enforcing the Mayor’s order. https://t.co/SpVRYIB8eg pic.twitter.com/JAt2AvUTCr
— Seattle Police Dept. (@SeattlePD) July 1, 2020
Seattle Chief of Police Carmen Best said in a statement that while she supports peaceful demonstrations, “enough is enough.”
“This order, and our police response, comes after weeks of violence in and around the Capitol Hill Occupied Protest zone, including four shootings, resulting in multiple injuries and the deaths of two teenagers.
“As I have said, and I will say again, I support peaceful demonstrations. Black Lives Matter, and I too want to help propel this movement toward meaningful change in our community.
“But enough is enough.
“The CHOP has become lawless and brutal. Four shootings–-two fatal—robberies, assaults, violence and countless property crimes have occurred in this several block area. ”
The Seattle Police Department says their officers will be wearing a “higher level of protective gear” as they clear the area because individuals in the CHOP have been known to be armed and dangerous.
KIRO reporter John Curley says that things have been fairly calm this morning and that he has seen no contact between police and protestors.
Local reports say that 13 arrests have been made as of 5:30 a.m. local time.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
- Police investigate shots fired at Provo MTC (pageviews: 6389)
- Full transcript of Lori Daybell secret phone call recording (pageviews: 4540)
- Police investigate shots fired at Provo MTC | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 2749)
- Chad Daybell in court, prosecution offers new details (pageviews: 2627)
- Fatal officer-involved shooting in Kearns (pageviews: 2375)
- Transfer trouble? Out-of-state high school football players have their eyes set on Utah (pageviews: 2099)
- Post Malone talks Utah and aliens in almost four hour podcast (pageviews: 1741)
- These companies are working from home until 2021 -- or forever (pageviews: 1733)