2 men arrested for burning American flags outside homes in Ogden
OGDEN, Utah – The Ogden Police Department arrested two men Thursday after several American flags that were hanging outside people’s homes were burned.
Bryan Nava, 19, and Hunter Hinds, 18, are also accused of torching someone’s “Thin Blue Line” flag and spraying graffiti around the neighborhood.
Darrel Thompson told KSL-TV the American flag hanging outside his garage was burned Wednesday, but only caused some minor damage. However, he said he’s disappointed by what happened.
“Two hundred plus years of history [and of] people fighting for this flag,” Thompson said. “Then kids just come and burn it.”
Thompson said he was concerned the flames could have set his house on fire. While he’s not sure what stopped the fire, he’s “glad it did.”
By Thursday, he’d already hung up a replacement flag outside his home.
Ogden Police say they received eight reports related to property damage from that neighborhood throughout the night, according to a news release.
Brittany Weddel’s mother was the one who noticed her American flag was missing and that her “Don’t Tread On Me” flag was burned.
She told KSL-TV that what happened spooked her.
“I have kids, and I don’t know what’s next,” Weddel said. “I just don’t know what to expect. I don’t understand why people are doing this.”
Police do not have a suspected motive for the vandalism because they say the suspects have not been talking with them.
Nava was arrested for investigation of two counts of criminal mischief, and endangering human life for lighting flags on fire while being attached to homes. He was also arrested for two counts of criminal mischief, five counts of trespassing, five counts of abuse of a flag, and two counts of graffiti.
During the night, he also spray-painted his moniker onto surrounding buildings and fences, according to the police affidavit.
Hinds was booked on charges of property crime, according to released statements.
Contributing: Cami Mondeaux
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Off-duty officer with Salt Lake City Police arrested