(CNN) — An officer is being hailed a hero after he quickly saved a 3-week-old baby who was struggling to breathe.
The Sterling Heights Police Department in Michigan posted the dashcam video of the heroic act on its Facebook page Monday.
Officer Cameron Maciejewski is seen rushing to a call concerning a 3-week-old baby who isn’t breathing on July 9. He is bombarded by the family when he arrives at their home and the mother is frantic. Maciejewski calmly assures her and the rest of the family before asking for the baby girl.
He checks for signs of life before realizing something is caught in her airway. He turns her over as the baby’s mother hovers over him and preforms a few back thrusts before the child starts to cry.
The officer assures the family that the baby is okay as the mother falls to the ground in relief.
The baby was then turned over to the Sterling Heights Fire Department so the child could be taken to the hospital for evaluation.
“If it wasn’t for Officer Maciejewski’s quick, calm, lifesaving actions, the outcome of this incident could have been tragically different,” the police department said.
“Not only did the officer save the baby, but the officer did an outstanding job consoling the family.”
Maciejewski attributes his quick thinking and ability to stay calm to his training.
“If I start freaking or if I can’t handle myself or handle my cool it just escalates everything for the family,” he said in an interview posted on the department’s social media.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
- Southbound I-15 closed Monday morning after road rage, shooting (pageviews: 2815)
- Utah lawmaker opens bill to explore impeachment against AG Reyes (pageviews: 2524)
- UDOT: Southbound I-15 experiencing major delays due to crash (pageviews: 1745)
- Southbound I-15 closed after hit and run, shooting (pageviews: 1515)
- CONFIRMED: The noise was a sonic boom, 80 miles from SLC – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1217)
- Romney supports impeachment trial; new poll shows his support is slipping (pageviews: 1007)
- CONFIRMED: The noise was a sonic boom, 80 miles from SLC (pageviews: 892)
- Two arrests after “clandestine narcotics lab” found in SLC apartment – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 797)