SALT LAKE CITY — Citing current weather conditions–hot and dry weather that is expected to continue across northern Utah, the State Forester has issued a fire prevention order affecting several counties.
Beginning at 12:01 a.m. on July 18th, Box Elder, Cache, Rich, and Weber Counties will be subject to fire prohibitions including:
- Setting, building, maintaining, attending or using open fires of any kind, except within the facilities designed for them in improved campgrounds, picnic areas, or home sites where running water is present.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, trailer, or building, or within a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area that is paved or free from dry vegetation.
- Discharging or using any fireworks, tracer ammunition, or other pyrotechnic devices including exploding targets.
- Cutting, welding, or grinding metal in areas of dry vegetation, and
- Operating a motorcycle, chainsaw, ATV, or other small internal-combustion engine without an approved and working spark arrestor.
The order affects all incorporated private and all state lands within Box Elder, Cache, Rich, and Weber Counties and will be enforced by county law enforcement.
The order does not affect private lands within incorporated towns or city limits.
More information is available on the website of the Utah Fire Marshal.