WEST VALLEY CITY — The Consulate of Mexico in Salt Lake City along with the University of Utah Wellness Bus, Victor’s Event Center and the Utah Department of Health to offer free COVID-19 testing in West Valley on Friday.
The free testing will begin at 9 a.m and finish at 1 p.m. on Friday at the Victor’s Event Center in West Valley City and officials with the consulate say they’ll test everyone, regardless of if someone is exhibiting symptoms.
Jose Borjón from the Mexican Consulate said while everyone is welcome, their focus is on immigrant and minority populations in the area.
“Many immigrants have less access to medical care and coronavirus cases are spiking with them.”
“Language barriers and cultural norms play a part in the spread of COVID-19,” said Borjón, “But the lack of health care is really what’s contributing to the high cases right now.”
That’s why The Consulate of Mexico is helping to sponsor this event. It will be ‘Drive-up’ style as people in the cars will wait in lines to be tested by medical staff from the University of Utah Wellness Bus.
The Consulate highly encouraged people to make an appointment as the bus will leave just after 1 p.m. due to other commitments. They say the number to call is 801-587-7012, option #3 or 801-436-7118 (bilingual) to schedule a time on Friday, July 31st, 2020.
“Anyone left waiting in line will be out of luck,” said Borjón.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronaviruses transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- The four teams the Jazz could play in Round 1 of the NBA Playoffs
- Major abortion case seeking 15-week ban on abortion in Mississippi head to the Supreme Court
- Special session Wednesday won’t address Second Amendment Sanctuary
- Tax Day 2021: What you need to know and how to file for an extension
- Man drowns at Pineview Reservoir, investigation underway
- Vehicles, cars burglarized in West Jordan neighborhood
- Search and rescue teams locate bodies of West Valley City brothers missing on Utah Lake
- Is it time to change careers? 41% of workers are considering it.
- What to do if you find a baby bird out of the nest
- Emergency order extended for drought, Utah Farm Bureau praying for rain