Semi-trailer filled with fireworks catches fire at Smith’s in Sandy
SANDY, Utah — A Smith’s location in Sandy delayed its opening Thursday morning after a suspicious overnight semi-trailer fire. Fire officials say a trailer filled with fireworks caught fire and damaged the loading dock area.
Suspicious fire outside Smith’s
Sandy fire crews got the call to rush over to the location near 9400 South and 2039 East shortly after 1 a.m.
When they arrived, they found a semi tractor-trailer ablaze, loaded with fireworks inside. According to Ryan McConaghie, Deputy Chief with the Sandy City Fire Department, flames originated from somewhere underneath the trailer.
“Pallets and debris under the tongue of the trailer had been stacked there and were on fire,” he said.
The burning trailer was located on the backside of the building at the loading dock area. Those on the scene say flames started to reach a hundred or two hundred feet and smoke filled the shopping area, which triggered the sprinklers in the loading dock area.
“As I walked through the store I could smell smoke throughout,” said McConaghie. “Of course they have all their fresh foods, meats, etc.”
He adds that the sprinklers helped mitigate any potential fire damage inside the store. The loading dock area experienced some minor smoke and water damage, while the trailer is completely destroyed.
A look at the aftermath of a semi-trailer fire in Sandy. This is the Smith’s near 94th S & 20th E. Officials say the trailer was filled with fireworks and they’re calling the fire suspicious. It looks like the store is staying closed until further notice. @kslnewsradio pic.twitter.com/JJ2mpeZwji
— John Wojcik (@JWojcikKSL) August 6, 2020
This specific Smith’s store is not a 24-hour location, so the store was already closed at the time of the fire. Nonetheless, overnight employees were forced to evacuate the building.
Initially, the store could not say how long it would be closed, but after crews finished their work, opening was delayed by just a couple of hours.
Fire officials say the circumstances surrounding the fire are “suspicious” and they will be investigating the possibility of arson.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Letters from surviving roommates read at church memorial service for slain University of…
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Bob McGrath, original ‘Sesame Street’ cast member, dead at 90
- Elon Musk speaks out on ‘Twitter Files’ release detailing platform’s inner…
- Utah Avalanche Awareness Week is underway
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…