Kanye West will be on the Utah ballot
SALT LAKE CITY — Rapper and clothing mogul Kanye West will be on the 2020 presidential ballot in Utah.
West collected the necessary 1,000 signatures and paid the $500 fee to file as an unaffiliated candidate in the Beehive State just before the Monday deadline, securing his spot on the Utah ballot.
According to the Deseret News, the filing for West and his running mate Michelle Tidball was made by Salt Lake lawyer Robert Harrington.
West announced his run for the presidency on July 4 on Twitter saying, “We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States.”
We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States 🇺🇸! #2020VISION
— ye (@kanyewest) July 5, 2020
That July 4 tweet got the attention of Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk who offered his own endorsement saying that West had his full support.
You have my full support!
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 5, 2020
Those two tweets gathered a combined 1.5 million likes and over 550,000 retweets.
West and Trump
West had been a vocal supporter of President Donald Trump before announcing his bid for the Oval Office. He told Forbes just days after announcing that he was running that he would be, “taking the red hat off.”
“Trump is the closest president we’ve had in years to allowing God to still be part of the conversation,” he told Forbes chief content officer Randall Lane.
“I’m not saying Trump’s in my way, he may be a part of my way. And Joe Biden? Like come on man, please. You know? Obama’s special. Trump’s special. We say Kanye West is special. America needs special people that lead. Bill Clinton? Special. Joe Biden’s not special.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Brigham City Police seeking help in locating missing teenager
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- New photo of Gabby Petito raises questions
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Ogden Police looking for driver that hit a crossing guard
- House Speaker Wilson expresses disappointment in Biden’s State of the Union Address