6-year-old girl struck in foot by stray bullet in Kearns, suffers only bruises
KEARNS, Utah — Police say a six-year-old Kearns girl is lucky to be alive after a stray bullet hit her in the foot while she slept.
Lt. Manfred Lassig with the Unified Police Department said officers were dispatched to shots fired shortly after midnight near Campbell and Westslope Drives in Kearns after a neighbor’s heard an argument and reported a number of shots fired.
“It’s by the grace of God we’re lucky we’re not here investigating the death of a six-year-old,” Lassig told KSL.
Lassig said that while they’re still investigating exactly what happened early Friday, it appears that during the course of argument, someone pulled out a gun and fired a number of rounds.
“During some point during this argument, a shot was fired. [That] shot went in through the east wall of the house, went through the headboard, through a pillow and hit the six-year-old in the foot,” he continued.
Lassig said investigators were able to find the bullet in the little girl’s room. The little girl was checked by medical personnel from Unified Fire and suffered only a bruised foot.
Lt. Lassig from @UPDSL says
“by the grace of god we’re lucky we’re not here investigating the death of a six year old by inches over this little gal would have ended up with a bullet in the top of her head”#KSLTV pic.twitter.com/1DFUEr98ap
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) August 21, 2020
UPD says they have made no arrests yet, but are currently questioning a number of neighbors where they believe the shots originated from.
“[We’ll] figure out who’s responsible for this kind of behavior. We’re looking at multiple felonies, the aggravated assault on a child, felony discharge of a weapon in a neighborhood and other charges that could be stemming from it.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- Those who practice intermittent fasting less likely to have severe COVID complications,…
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- UDOT to temporarily close Cottonwood Heights I-215 bridge for restoration
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- Missing girls from South Jordan found near San Diego
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake