Fatal crash in Kearns leaves one person killed and two seriously injured
KEARNS — A fatal crash at 5600 West and 5830 South killed one woman and left two others hospitalized according to officials with the United Police Department.
UPD Sgt. Melody Gray said the officers had responded to Thomas Jefferson Jr. High School on a “keep the peace” call with a 26-year-old woman just after 8 p.m.
Gray said the woman got into her vehicle after the meeting and turned to go northbound on 5600 West.
“She did not see a southbound vehicle, and that southbound vehicle t-boned her,” Gray said.
The 37-year-old woman who was driving the southbound vehicle was killed in the crash. Officers extracted her at the scene and lifesaving procedures were attempted.
She has now been identified as Cecilia Ruby Chavez from Magna.
Her 14-year-old daughter was hospitalized and is in serious condition.
The 26-year-old woman was taken to Intermountain Medical Center in critical condition.
The accident closed down 5600 West in both directions while police investigated.
Both Directions 5600 W at 5800 S, Salt Lake Co.
NB Lanes Closed
Est. Clearance Time: 9:30 PM
For updates: https://t.co/jaVMw7vcLm
— UDOT Traffic (@UDOTTRAFFIC) August 29, 2020
Today’s Top Stories
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Wordle, the easy online word game that’s easy to love
- Unopened 1987 Nintendo video game could sell for $10,000
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Utah County announces first female chief investigator
- Fourth of July weekend weather conditions ripe for fires
- Some Utah Jazz players’ heights shrunk a bit
- ‘Senseless crime’: The victims of July Fourth shootings
- Mr. Werner Schoeck – Granite High School
- Salt Lake County says it has decreased water-use on its golf courses