Viewmont High School on two hour delay after police shooting on school grounds
BOUNTIFUL, Utah — A man is dead following an officer-involved shooting that happened outside Viewmont High School in Bountiful. Lieutenant Dave Edwards with Bountiful Police says officers responded to a call of an armed man outside the high school near 120 W and 1000 N just before 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday.
Armed man outside Viewmont high school
According to police, the man was armed with a rifle, in addition to a bow and arrow.
Lieutenant Edwards says when officers arrived, the suspect grabbed his gun. At that time, officers told the man to put the gun down, although he reportedly did not comply.
“The male responded by asking the officers to shoot him,” according to a Bountiful Police Department statement. “Officers repeatedly attempted to deescalate the situation.”
Authorities said the man raised the shotgun and fired. Soon afterward, officers returned fire and hit the man.
The man was presumed dead at the scene and no officers were injured.
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) September 16, 2020
Currently, the Davis County Protocol Team is investigating the shooting, and there is no known connection between the suspect and the school and it is unclear why he was there.
As of Wednesday morning, three officers have been placed on paid administrative leave.
The Davis County School District says both the school and busses will be on a two-hour delay as police continue to investigate.
Late last night, there was an officer-involved shooting near the front of Viewmont High. The area is still a crime scene. Because of that, Viewmont High will begin school today, September 16, with a two-hour late start. School busses will also be delayed by two hours.
— DavisSchools (@DavisSchools) September 16, 2020
Police have not yet identified the man, only saying he is a white 27-years-old Bountiful resident.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- ‘Goblin mode’ chosen as Oxford word of the year for 2022
- Checking in on the status of full-day kindergarten in Utah
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Deadline for REAL ID-compliant license, ID card, extended to 2025
- Defense bill likely to include end to military Covid vaccine mandate, source says
- How much will it take to save the Great Salt Lake?
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success