Fat Bear Week 2020 crowns its big winner
(CNN) — After gorging on salmon all summer and fall, one Alaskan brown bear is the fattest of all and been crowned the winner of Fat Bear Week.
Bear 747, a blubbery beast at Katmai National Park and Preserve, was voted the winner of this year’s Fat Bear Week competition, a celebration of the park’s bulging bears as they fatten up before hibernation.
The champion bear was first identified by park officials in 2004 but had never made it to the finals of Fat Bear Week. But 747 outdid himself this year, according to the park — he could’ve been ready to hibernate as early as July with the way his stomach hung, but he continued to feast, narrowly beating out his beefy runner-up, Chunk.
The fatter the bear, the healthier they’ll be when they emerge from hibernation. The national park’s bears fatten up before they hibernate for the winter, when they must live off their fat stores while they waiting out the cold weather in their dens.
Fat bears thrive in Katmai National Park, specifically on the Brooks River. It’s of the largest and healthiest “runs” of salmon — that’s when salmon migrate upstream and lay eggs on riverbeds — in the world, according to the park. And in Alaska’s Bristol Bay, where part of the park is located, brown bears outnumber the human residents.
Bear 747 is a humble victor. To celebrate his win, he’ll probably do what he always does — chow down on salmon in preparation for hibernation.
“When asked what he intends to do now that he has won, the only response was a look before going back to fishing in the Jacuzzi near the Brooks Falls, one of his favorite fishing spots,” the park said.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- With Roe v. Wade now overturned, could same-sex marriage be next?
- Lawyer releases pages from Brian Laundrie’s notebook in which he admits to killing…
- Biden signs bipartisan gun safety bill into law: ‘God willing, it’s going to…
- Hill Air Force Base’s Air and Space show bringing STEM to kids
- Congress sends landmark gun violence compromise to Biden