Student volunteers helping at the Vice Presidential debate
Oct 7, 2020, 8:43 AM | Updated: 8:46 am
(University of Utah)
SALT LAKE CITY — Student volunteers are playing a big part ahead of the vice presidential debate at the University of Utah.
Senior Natalie Aris is spending most of her time this week driving a golf cart around the campus. Her job is to shuttle national media members wherever they need to go across campus.
“We have such a big beautiful campus, with lots of hills. It’s fun to experience it a different way,” she said.
The U has been planning for this debate for a year but had to change things because of the coronavirus pandemic.
“It is super safe,” said Aris, who had to get a COVID test. “We have our Lysol and masks, and it is being handled super well.”
“When we first heard about the event, we mobilized a lot of student groups and student government to see how students might be involved in this,” said Lori McDonald, the U’s VP for Student Affairs.
McDonald said she hopes this opens the students’ eyes to the process.
Merry Joseph, a senior studying biomedical engineering and psychology, will be one of the ushers for tomorrow night’s #UofUvpDebate. #VPDebate pic.twitter.com/rbaO38YFwR
— University of Utah (@UUtah) October 7, 2020
“Universities across the country are microcosms of society. We are all about education, learning, being civically engaged, no matter what you are studying,” she said.
Alyssa Le is also a student volunteer, driving a golf cart for media members.
“On TV it looks so seamless, but seeing the inner workings of how they make this happen, I’m excited about that.”
Le said she wouldn’t try to talk to the reporters but would be listening to what they talked about.
Aris, who came to the U from New Jersey, says she is going to put this on her resume.
“I’m taking in all the stuff around me because it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. We are the only VP debate this year and it’s only once every four years, and what are the odds of having it at your school?”
What Utahns will be looking for during the Vice Presidential Debate
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Sandy police and fire respond to near drowning of infant
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- May’s warm temperatures break record in Salt Lake City
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful
- Davis schools remove Bible from certain school shelves