6 people charged in plot to kidnap Michigan Governor
LANSING, Mich — The FBI says it has thwarted what they are calling an attempt to violently overthrow the government and kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer according to an unsealed criminal complaint.
According to the Detroit News, a federal affidavit unsealed Thursday states the alleged plot was created by several members of a Michigan militia.
The FBI quoted one of the accused as saying Whitmer “has no checks and balances at all. She has uncontrolled power right now. All good things must come to an end.”
“Several members talked about murdering ‘tyrants’ or ‘taking’ a sitting governor,” an FBI agent wrote in the affidavit. “The group decided they needed to increase their numbers and encouraged each other to talk to their neighbors and spread their message.”
The affidavit was filed hours after a federal raid on a home outside of Detroit.
The six men named in the affidavit in connection with the conspiracy to kidnap Witmer were: Adam Fox, Barry Croft, Garbin, Kaleb Franks, Daniel Harris and Brandon Caserta.
Authorities have scheduled a news conference to talk about the case.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Cottonwood High School wins football game in bizarre fashion
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- Storms blast southern Utah, flash flooding possible
- Saturday crash killed father and 2-year-old son
- Fatal car crash closes southbound I-15 in Washington County
- SLCPD investigating reported sexual assault at frat house near University of Utah
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- Day 1 in ‘landmark case’ for animal rights
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead