WATCH: Dad builds backyard roller coaster during shelter in place
NAPA, Calif. — It sounds like something straight out of a Phineas and Ferb episode, but instead of giving a monkey a shower or climbing the Eiffel Tower, a California dad brought his favorite Disneyland roller coaster to his own backyard.
Building a backyard roller coaster
During California’s shelter in place, theme parks weren’t allowed to open, so Sean LaRochelle got creative.
“I always wanted to build a ride and Disney rides are always special to me because they’re themed; they tell a unique story,” he told ABC 7 Eyewitness News.
He says he started building the two-story Matterhorn-inspired ride in March before finishing it up four months later with the help of his brother and a few socially distanced friends.
“COVID changed everything and you know, you want to bring a little bit of normalcy back into your life and for me growing up, Disney was a huge part of that, and so I definitely wanted to bring that to my family,” LaRochelle said.
Attention to detail
LaRochelle touts his Matterhorn-Alpine Escape as “The most elaborate and detailed backyard roller coaster ever built!”
The ride comes complete with little Swiss flags, lights, waterfalls and even an Abominable Snowman.
More stories like this:
- A 12-year-old found a 69 million-year-old dinosaur fossil while hiking with his dad
- Dad goes viral for ’embarrassing’ his daughter at the airport
- Heart of Utah: stories that make you feel good
Today’s Top Stories
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- 8-year-old boy struck by car in Riverton, suffers head injury
- WB I-80 shut down after a crash between two semis and a Utah Highway Patrol car
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash