UPDATE: Two more schools in the Davis School District will move to remote learning
KAYSVILLE, Utah — The Davis School District reports that six schools will move to online instruction for the next two weeks. This comes after more than 15 people associated with each school have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days.
Viewmont and Bountiful High School are the newest schools in the Davis School District will begin a soft closure on Friday, Nov. 13, announced Chris Williams with the district on KSL NewsRadio’s Live Mic. Students at these two schools will participate in online instruction for two weeks.
Beginning Thursday, Nov. 12, Davis High School (DHS), Layton High School (LHS), Woods Cross High School (WCHS), and Shoreline Junior High School will be on a “soft closure,” the district announced Wednesday. There will be no instruction on Thursday to give teachers a day to transition.
School officials say they anticipate in-person classes will resume on Nov. 30. During the soft closure, each school will be deep cleaning the schools in order to safely bring students back on campus.
Main offices at each school will remain open during normal business hours to accommodate visits with teachers or counselors. Those visits will require an appointment. Anybody needing to meet with a teacher or counselor will also need to complete a short health assessment at the school.
To be clear, a soft closure does not mean the entire school is under quarantine.
“This [the soft closure] is a preventative measure to help slow the spread of COVID-19 by reducing the number of people in the school,” said the district.
Students at the schools are expected to attend virtual classes online on time during the soft closure, said the district.
“We know that students will be academically more successful during the soft closure if they stick to their normal regimen and remain focused on their coursework.”
In compliance with Gov. Herbert’s recent orders, all extracurricular activities are on hold until at least Nov. 30.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pilot uninjured in Mountain Green plane crash
- Iran wants US out of World Cup after it change made to Iranian flag
- Car drives into parade, hits horse and rider
- UDOT warns winter storm bringing roadway impacts
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- SB I-15 lanes in Washington Co. reopen after closure
- One person flees I-15 crash in Murray
- Construction begins on Midway ice castles one icicle at a time