Utah officials report rising cases of COVID-19 complication in children
SALT LAKE CITY — Some of the children who’ve been infected with COVID-19 in Utah and surrounding regions are later going to the hospital with severe symptoms associated with MIS-C, or multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children.
As of last week, officials from Intermountain Healthcare said they’ve seen 17 cases of MIS-C in their hospitals. And they say they are anticipating more such cases in the coming weeks.
Some of the common symptoms of MIS-C include fever, rash, and low blood pressure. On average, children with MIS-C spend six days in the hospital and five days in the intensive care unit (ICU).
Madelyn Dayton, a 12-year-old girl from southwest Wyoming, was admitted to an ICU unit last month.
“I woke up and I had a really bad headache, and, just, body aches all over,” Madelyn said in a Zoom conference call between Intermountain and Utah media outlets including KSL Newsradio.
“Two days later I couldn’t walk and I wouldn’t eat.”
According to the Utah government’s coronavirus web page, MIS-C is a condition that can inflame different areas of the body, including the cardiovascular system, kidneys, brain, or the gastrointestinal system.
According to the website, while MIS-C can be deadly, most children diagnosed with the condition have recovered with medical care.
- Most cases are in children and adolescents between the ages of 1 and 14 years, with an average age of 8 years.
- Cases have occurred in children and adolescents from <1 year old to 20 years old.
- More than 75% of reported cases have occurred in children who are Hispanic or Latino (412 cases) or Black, Non-Hispanic (369 cases).
- 98% of cases (1,145) tested positive for SARS CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The remaining 2% were around someone with COVID-19.
- Most children developed MIS-C 2-4 weeks after infection with SARS-CoV-2.
- Slightly more than half (56%) of reported cases were male.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Evan McMullin sues super PAC, three Utah news stations for defamatory ad
- Father and son found dead inside West Jordan home
- Pedestrian killed on NB I-15 in Ogden, another in critical condition
- Gov. Cox appoints John Luthy to the Utah State Court of Appeals
- Judge dismisses lawsuit alleging OB-GYN sexually assaulted over 100 women
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Former Utah Royals owner and coach named in women’s soccer abuse investigation
- Three schools in Tooele went into lockdown Tuesday afternoon
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- Interim superintendent is named for Salt Lake City School District