Update: 6:04 p.m.:
KEARNS, Utah — The suspect from a shooting in Kearns on Saturday has been identified as 18-year old Kaden Christiansen. Unified Police confirmed Christiansen was booked into jail on one count of manslaughter after shooting a 15-year-old identified as RK.
RK died on scene after suffering a gun shot wound to the torso, according to affidavit documents.
Unified Police officers were dispatched to the scene near 5155 Alex Street and 4180 West around 1:11 a.m. Saturday. Christiansen reportedly admitted to shooting RK, telling detectives he was pretending to be a police officer and arresting the victim.
Shortly after, Christiansen said he accidentally pulled the trigger. The 18-year-old reports he initially believed the firearm was on safety and that it was unloaded because he had taken the magazine out.
Christiansen also reported smoking about one or two grams of marijuana before the incident.
Unified Police Detective Kevin Mallory told KSL that the initial call came from a neighbor reporting some sort of a commotion. The neighbor identified Christiansen as being in the same room as RK when the shooting happened.
“We received additional information that somebody may have been shot, so fire responded as well,” Mallory said. “They attempted life-saving measures on the victim, but unfortunately, he passed away and it was confirmed to be a 15-year-old male.”
- Utah lifts gathering restrictions on private property, switches back to “transmission index” – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 14286)
- Utah lifts gathering restrictions on private property, switches back to "transmission index" (pageviews: 8983)
- Two missing teens from Taylorsville last seen in SLC – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 4442)
- Ogden Police Department confirms shots fired Wednesday night – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1099)
- US agency ascertains Biden as winner, lets transiton begin (pageviews: 903)
- Developers roll out new COVID-19 test that also detects influenza and RSV (pageviews: 807)
- Two missing teens from Taylorsville last seen in SLC (pageviews: 804)
- The mystery of the Utah monolith found in the desert – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 762)