SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Utah’s congressional delegation is organizing a fundraising campaign for a tight Georgia Senate race.
Raising money for the Georgia Senate race
Rep. Chris Stewart, R-Utah, and his team appear to be leading the fundraising charge, with a virtual event set for next month.
According to the Deseret News, Sen. Mike Lee, Reps. John Curtis, Burgess Owens and Blake Moore, all also R-Utah, will all take part in the joint event, while Republican Sen. Mitt Romney’s involvement is not confirmed.
“The Democrats are desperate to win these two seats,” Stewart said in a video posted on Twitter. “If they do, then they have absolute power. They will change our nation forever. We can not let them do that.”
Our country is under attack and the Georgia Senate races are the last line of defense.
I’m announcing that I will be matching, dollar for dollar, donations up to $10k total. 100% of the donations raised will go to the Georgia Senate races. Please join me! https://t.co/O8mClEJkaN pic.twitter.com/Dn0snv6Jbs
— Chris Stewart (@StewartforUtah) November 24, 2020
Proceeds from the event will go to the Georgia Battleground Fund, a joint fundraising committee between the incumbent Georgia Republican senators and the National Republican Senatorial Committee for the runoff Senate election.
“If you donate, I will match up to $10,000,” he said. “Together, we can make a difference. None of us will keep a penny of this. [It’s] all going to Georgia to these critical races.”
The two Senate seats in Georgia went to runoffs following the Nov. 3 election, because no candidate won at least 50% of the vote to secure the seat. Republican Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler are facing Democrats Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, respectively, in the Jan. 5, 2021 election.
Control of the U.S. Senate is at stake, with the GOP currently holding 50 seats to the Democrats’ 48. If Democrats win both Georgia seats, Vice President-elect Kamala Harris will have the deciding vote in the event of a tie.
- Delta places Romney hecklers on no-fly list (pageviews: 5873)
- What to watch as House moves to impeach Trump for 2nd time (pageviews: 1614)
- Contests (pageviews: 1592)
- Enter to win a pair of Apple Airpods! - KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1325)
- Gov. Cox declares state of emergency ahead of expected protests over the weekend (pageviews: 1287)
- VIDEO: Sen. Romney confronted by an angry passenger at the airport (pageviews: 905)
- Hey, Utahns over 70: Here's everything to know about getting your COVID-19 vaccine (pageviews: 808)
- McConnell rejects emergency session for trial (pageviews: 804)