Missing 15-year-old hiker found alive after 1 day search
ST. GEORGE, Utah — A 15-year-old who went missing Friday after hiking with family has been found, Washington County authorities reported Saturday. Officials say Britton Kelsey was found around 4:30 p.m. and was reunited with his family.
It’s not yet known what his condition is as officials report he is still being evaluated.
Kelsey went missing around 3 p.m. Friday while hiking the Red Mountain Trail in St. George. Reports indicate Kelsey separated from his party because he felt tired, and decided to wait for the second half of his group.
“It was reported that Kelsey had fallen behind the first group and was believed to have met up with the second group,” said Lt. David Crouse in an email to KSL.
However, the second group reported they never met up with Kelsey — prompting the Friday night search to locate the 15-year-old. Both search-and-rescue volunteers, as well as family friends, searched for Kelsey amid temperatures that dipped below freezing late Friday.
The search crew disbanded near midnight and reunited around 7 a.m. Saturday.
“Volunteers and friends of the family have also begun an independent search of the area,” Crouse said. “The Sheriff’s Office is asking that any volunteers assisting the family wear bright-colored clothing in an effort to be clearly identified and not complicate the aerial search efforts.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Wordle, the easy online word game that’s easy to love
- ‘Senseless crime’: The victims of July Fourth shootings
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Fourth of July weekend weather conditions ripe for fires
- Unopened 1987 Nintendo video game could sell for $10,000
- Utah County announces first female chief investigator
- Some Utah Jazz players’ heights shrunk a bit
- Mr. Werner Schoeck – Granite High School
- Driver overcorrected, flipped tour bus in crash that killed four near Bryce Canyon