ST. GEORGE, Utah — A 15-year-old who went missing Friday after hiking with family has been found, Washington County authorities reported Saturday. Officials say Britton Kelsey was found around 4:30 p.m. and was reunited with his family.
It’s not yet known what his condition is as officials report he is still being evaluated.
Kelsey went missing around 3 p.m. Friday while hiking the Red Mountain Trail in St. George. Reports indicate Kelsey separated from his party because he felt tired, and decided to wait for the second half of his group.
“It was reported that Kelsey had fallen behind the first group and was believed to have met up with the second group,” said Lt. David Crouse in an email to KSL.
However, the second group reported they never met up with Kelsey — prompting the Friday night search to locate the 15-year-old. Both search-and-rescue volunteers, as well as family friends, searched for Kelsey amid temperatures that dipped below freezing late Friday.
The search crew disbanded near midnight and reunited around 7 a.m. Saturday.
“Volunteers and friends of the family have also begun an independent search of the area,” Crouse said. “The Sheriff’s Office is asking that any volunteers assisting the family wear bright-colored clothing in an effort to be clearly identified and not complicate the aerial search efforts.”
- Delta places Romney hecklers on no-fly list (pageviews: 5873)
- What to watch as House moves to impeach Trump for 2nd time (pageviews: 1614)
- Contests (pageviews: 1592)
- Enter to win a pair of Apple Airpods! - KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1325)
- Gov. Cox declares state of emergency ahead of expected protests over the weekend (pageviews: 1287)
- VIDEO: Sen. Romney confronted by an angry passenger at the airport (pageviews: 905)
- Hey, Utahns over 70: Here's everything to know about getting your COVID-19 vaccine (pageviews: 808)
- McConnell rejects emergency session for trial (pageviews: 804)