Salt Lake Police search for suspect in overnight fatal shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — A shooting overnight in Salt Lake City left one man dead and another badly injured on Hampton Avenue near Liberty Park. Despite early information, Lieutenant Bill Manzanares confirmed it doesn’t appear to have been a drive-by situation.
One dead, another injured in shooting
The shooting happened around midnight near 200 East Hampton Avenue, which is just west of the Salt Lake neighborhood of Liberty Park.
According to police, a grey Nissan Altima pulled up outside the Corner Stop, which is a local convenience store. Next, a person exited the vehicle and began firing shots before getting back inside the vehicle and speeding away. Witnesses claim they heard somewhere between seven and 10 shots fired.
“At some point, he was inside the store,” Manzanares said. “It looks like [the shooting] happened either just at the doorway or just outside the store.”
When police arrived on scene, they immediately began attending to those injured.
“Officers rendered first aid to two individuals,” said Lieutenant Carlos Valencia with the Salt Lake City Police Department. “One of them passed away shortly after. Another went to the hospital in critical condition, although he will be OK.”
— KSL NewsRadio (@kslnewsradio) December 31, 2020
Talking to witnesses
Most of the early morning hours were spent gathering testimony from witnesses in the neighborhood.
“We have about six to ten possible witnesses, but right now it’s so premature and they are very distraught about what happened,” he said. “We’re trying to tread carefully with the investigation.”
At this time, the shooter remains at large and no suspects have been identified.
Man shot and killed right outside the Corner Stop, a convenience store just west of Liberty Park. Police now looking for a gunman who took off in a grey 2006 Nissan Altima. Another victim is at the University of Utah Hospital in critical. @KSL5TV #slcpd #slc pic.twitter.com/fxYlpU0Tgd
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) December 31, 2020
The investigation has been turned over to the department’s homicide detectives, who have reportedly recovered several shell casings in the area.
Police are looking for a 2006 grey Nissan Altima, which is believed to be the vehicle driven by the suspect or suspects.
Anyone with information should contact the Salt Lake City Police Department at 801-799-3000.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Court says gun law targeting domestic violence suspects is unconstitutional