UHP trooper injured while conducting speed enforcement
RIVERDALE, UT — A trooper with the Utah Highway Patrol (UHP) was injured early Friday morning when his parked patrol car was hit on northbound I-15 and 4400 S. in Riverdale.
In a statement, the UHP said Trooper Brandon Mortensen was on the shoulder of the freeway in his marked patrol car.
The UHP says a Honda Civic drifted out of its lane and hit the left rear of the patrol car. The crash resulted in injuries to the trooper and he was briefly hospitalized.
The accident blocked most of the northbound lanes of I-15 at 4400 S. for a time on Friday morning.
An investigation is underway by the Weber County Sheriff’s office and Roy police. According to the statement, this investigation includes looking into whether the male driver of the Civic was driving while impaired.
If that is the case, the driver would join 37 other drivers suspected by UHP troopers of driving on Utah roadways while impaired over the New Year’s Eve holiday.
Today’s Top Stories
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- Rep. Stewart: Lessons to be learned from Chinese spy balloon
- House Speaker Wilson expresses disappointment in Biden’s State of the Union Address
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill