University of Utah president to accept new job elsewhere
SALT LAKE CITY — The woman who has led the University of Utah through some tumultuous times has accepted the position of president at Strada Impact, the U. said in a statement.
U. President Ruth Watkins plans to step down from the University of Utah in April, with a search beginning immediately for her replacement.
“University of Utah President Ruth V. Watkins announced Tuesday she has accepted a position of Strada Impact, where she will drive Strada Education Network’s national research, philanthropy, policy and thought leadership to improve students’ access to college, degree completion and career connections,” the statement said.
Watkins announced the move in a letter to the campus community, the school said.
The Utah Board of Higher Education will begin its national search for a new president immediately, with members of a presidential search committee appointed by the end of January.
Selected to serve as president of the University of Utah in 2018, Watkins will have just finished three years of service when she departs in April. She is the first woman to serve as permanent leader of the U., though a woman served as interim president during two other time frames.
During Watkins’ tenure, the University of Utah went through a series of changes, notably with the murder of student-athlete Lauren McCluskey, which led to an overhaul of campus safety and a settlement with McCluskey’s family.
Today’s Top Stories
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse
- After being hit by a bus, Ryan Hamilton announces changes to performance schedule
- Free fares across entire UTA system for the month of February
- Spirit Airlines comes to Salt Lake City Airport
- Police now have persons of interest in Moab double murder case
- Man in custody following high-speed chase through Utah County
- Jennie Nguyen removed from Real Housewives of SLC
- Bill aimed to ‘save’ Great Salt Lake to be introduced this legislative session
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moving missionaries out of Ukraine
- Teacher claims school district retaliated against her after she reported students were…