(CNN) — YouTube is suspending President Donald Trump’s channel for at least one week, and potentially longer, after his channel earned a strike under the platform’s policies, the company said Tuesday evening.
A recent video on Trump’s channel had incited violence, YouTube told CNN Business. That video has now been removed.
YouTube declined to share details of the video that earned Trump the strike, but said that after the one-week timeout, it will revisit the decision. YouTube also removed content from the White House’s channel for violating policy, the company told CNN Business, but the channel itself has not been suspended or been given a strike — just a warning.
Until now, YouTube had been the only remaining major social media platform not to have suspended Trump in some fashion. Facebook has suspended Trump’s account “indefinitely,” while Twitter has banned Trump completely.
“After careful review, and in light of concerns about the ongoing potential for violence, we removed new content uploaded to the Donald J. Trump channel and issued a strike for violating our policies for inciting violence,” a YouTube spokesperson said in a statement. “As a result, in accordance with our long-standing strikes system, the channel is now prevented from uploading new videos or livestreams for a minimum of seven days—which may be extended.”
YouTube also said it will be taking the extra step of disabling comments underneath videos on Trump’s channel.
Under YouTube’s policies, earning a second strike will result in a two-week suspension and three strikes will result in a permanent ban.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
- Delta places Romney hecklers on no-fly list (pageviews: 5873)
- What to watch as House moves to impeach Trump for 2nd time (pageviews: 1614)
- Contests (pageviews: 1592)
- Enter to win a pair of Apple Airpods! - KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1325)
- Gov. Cox declares state of emergency ahead of expected protests over the weekend (pageviews: 1287)
- VIDEO: Sen. Romney confronted by an angry passenger at the airport (pageviews: 905)
- Hey, Utahns over 70: Here's everything to know about getting your COVID-19 vaccine (pageviews: 808)
- McConnell rejects emergency session for trial (pageviews: 804)