Gov. Cox debunks rumor suggesting he already got COVID-19 vaccine
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Spencer Cox took to Twitter Saturday afternoon, debunking a rumor that he’s already gotten his COVID-19 vaccine despite not being eligible yet. This comes weeks after the Utah Department of Health confirmed state leaders would not get special treatment or have priority access to the vaccine.
In a now-deleted tweet, someone responded to FOX13 reporter Ben Winslow suggesting that Cox “already got his vaccinations.” The governor was quick to respond.
“I won’t until people 45 years old with no underlying comorbidities are eligible,” Cox tweeted.
Still true. And I won’t until people 45 years old with no underlying comorbidities are eligible.
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) January 16, 2021
The claim that politicians could cut the line has emerged since the vaccine rollout began. However, the health department noted in its phased plan that state leaders would be treated like every other Utahn.
That means Cox may not get the vaccine until March or April when the vaccine becomes available to the general public.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Brigham City Police locate missing teenager
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- A 21-year-old man formally charged in fatal Ogden shooting
- West Valley police searching for suspect in apartment stabbing