Provo man arrested in accidental stabbing of toddler
PROVO, Utah — A Provo man potentially faces charges in the accidental stabbing of his toddler daughter. Police say he mistook the 23-month-old child for another person in bed with his wife.
Miguel Francisco Rodriguez-Vera, 34, was booked into the Utah County Jail while the case is under investigation.
Provo police said they got the call about the stabbing of the toddler around 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday, as the girl’s mother rushed her to the hospital.
According to Provo police, Rodriguez-Vera had been drinking and began yelling at his wife when he noticed a large number of pillows and blankets in the bed which led him to suspect someone else was in the bed with his wife. Police said he then asked who was in the bed with her — and then stabbed through the sheets cutting the girl.
The toddler’s mother then rushed the girl to the hospital where she was treated for a stab wound in her foot. Police say the injury was not life-threatening.
If you need help with a domestic violence situation you can call the Utah Domestic Violence Link-Line at 800-897-LINK.
- 130-year-old community church in Provo asking for help fixing its buildings
- Provo wants better relationship with BYU students
- Homeless man charged in near-fatal stabbing
- VIDEO: Cougar follows man running near Provo for 6 minutes
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces the construction of 18 new temples
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Fatal car crash closes southbound I-15 in Washington County
- Satellite photo shows Chad Daybell property on likely day of child’s burial
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead
- Rubio vows to oppose potential Hurricane Ian aid package if lawmakers ‘load it up with…
- Death of Gunnison prison inmate could be homicide
- Boy killed while playing “the fainting game” will be laid to rest Wednesday