Officials identify body of hiker found in Zion National park Friday morning
SPRINGDALE, Utah — Officials with the National Park Service identified the body of a male hiker who was found in the park Friday morning. The hiker was confirmed to be Jason Hartwell, 43, from Draper, Utah.
The news comes a day after hikers reported that someone fell from Angels Landing, one of Utah’s most prominent hiking trails. A search and rescue team responded to the incident, locating Hartwell’s body at the base of the summit Friday morning.
Rescuers reported Hartwell sustained significant injuries from the fall.
Park operations will continue at Angels Landing as the investigation continues. The National Park Service will collaborate with the Washington County Sheriff’s Office to investigate further.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success