Woman dies from shooting; another person taken to hospital after standoff in Ogden
OGDEN, Utah — One woman has died and another individual was taken to the hospital via ambulance after a police standoff Saturday evening that lasted several hours. Although the two incidents occurred within miles of each other, police are not sure whether they are related.
KSL TV reporter Garna Mejia was near the standoff when she heard a gunshot, just minutes before a man was rushed away from the scene in an ambulance. It wasn’t immediately clear who fired the shot, and the condition of the male has not yet been released.
Police reported the individual they were dealing with was armed.
This comes after the Ogden police posted on social media earlier Saturday around 5 p.m. that officers were negotiating with the individual in the 900 block of Maple Street.
“The suspect is contained, and the incident is ongoing. The public is asked to stay away from this area,” authorities wrote on social media.
Police originally posted about the “active police incident” shortly after 2:30 p.m., when officers also advised residents to avoid the area between 36th Street and 40th Street, as well as 800 East to 1100 East.
As police updated on the situation, officers confirmed with KSL.com the fatal shooting including the woman occurred a few miles north of the standoff location as a Smith’s grocery store. Officers responded to that scene around 1:15 p.m.
It’s not clear whether the two incidents are related, according to police. However, officers confirmed the woman died as a result of the shooting.
Other identifying details have not been released.
This story is developing and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- The DWR to update management of black bears
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac dead at 79
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples