Woman dies from shooting; another person taken to hospital after standoff in Ogden
OGDEN, Utah — One woman has died and another individual was taken to the hospital via ambulance after a police standoff Saturday evening that lasted several hours. Although the two incidents occurred within miles of each other, police are not sure whether they are related.
KSL TV reporter Garna Mejia was near the standoff when she heard a gunshot, just minutes before a man was rushed away from the scene in an ambulance. It wasn’t immediately clear who fired the shot, and the condition of the male has not yet been released.
Police reported the individual they were dealing with was armed.
This comes after the Ogden police posted on social media earlier Saturday around 5 p.m. that officers were negotiating with the individual in the 900 block of Maple Street.
“The suspect is contained, and the incident is ongoing. The public is asked to stay away from this area,” authorities wrote on social media.
Police originally posted about the “active police incident” shortly after 2:30 p.m., when officers also advised residents to avoid the area between 36th Street and 40th Street, as well as 800 East to 1100 East.
As police updated on the situation, officers confirmed with KSL.com the fatal shooting including the woman occurred a few miles north of the standoff location as a Smith’s grocery store. Officers responded to that scene around 1:15 p.m.
It’s not clear whether the two incidents are related, according to police. However, officers confirmed the woman died as a result of the shooting.
Other identifying details have not been released.
This story is developing and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse