Salt Lake County Deputy injured in shootout is released from hospital
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake County Sheriff’s office said that Deputy Leland Grossett was released from the hospital on Monday afternoon.
Grossett was severely injured in a shootout on the campus of the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on Saturday, which also injured another deputy. The shooter was killed when deputies returned fire.
In a statement, Salt Lake County officials said that Grossett’s family is grateful for the progress he has made so far, and that they appreciate the outpouring of support from people in Utah and across the country.
It was welcome news to Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera.
“After a devastating injury, I am so relieved that Deputy Grossett is being released from the hospital,” Rivera said in a statement.
He has a long recovery ahead and our Office will be there to support him.”
Joshua Michael Johnson, 31, was shot and killed after officials say he pulled a gun on Deputy Grossett and Deputy Joshua Buerke. Both deputies were injured in the gunfire exchange.
Today’s Top Stories
- Update: Some I-15 lanes reopen after hazmat spill in Bluffdale
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- WNBA star Brittney Griner released from Russian detention in prisoner swap for convicted arms dealer
- Shelter-in-place continues in Tooele as SWAT situation unfolds
- Sundance Film Festival is seeking volunteers for 2023 event
- Natural Resources helicopter crashes in San Juan County, no injuries
- West Jordan Elementary School is closing its gates after 40 years
- Crashes and bad weather cause traffic across Utah
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans