Salt Lake County Deputy injured in shootout is released from hospital
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake County Sheriff’s office said that Deputy Leland Grossett was released from the hospital on Monday afternoon.
Grossett was severely injured in a shootout on the campus of the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on Saturday, which also injured another deputy. The shooter was killed when deputies returned fire.
In a statement, Salt Lake County officials said that Grossett’s family is grateful for the progress he has made so far, and that they appreciate the outpouring of support from people in Utah and across the country.
It was welcome news to Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera.
“After a devastating injury, I am so relieved that Deputy Grossett is being released from the hospital,” Rivera said in a statement.
He has a long recovery ahead and our Office will be there to support him.”
Joshua Michael Johnson, 31, was shot and killed after officials say he pulled a gun on Deputy Grossett and Deputy Joshua Buerke. Both deputies were injured in the gunfire exchange.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade, 7 dead
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Deuel Creek Fire continues to burn, officials hopeful for more containment
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Highland Park parade shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder, state’s attorney says
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs