At Lehi charter school, no mask requirement and no cases of COVID-19
SALT LAKE CITY — A Lehi charter school is talking about how it’s handled the question of whether students and teachers should wear masks as a precaution to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Alpine Valley Academy founder Mark Cluff told KSL TV that since August 2020, parents have decided for their children, and teachers and staff have decided for themselves whether to wear a protective face covering. There has been no mandate either way.
And Cluff said there hasn’t been a single case of COVID-19 at the school.
“There’s a pandemic, and people need to be cautious and aware and make the best decision for their lives,” Cluff said.
Right now, masks are still required in Utah public schools and will be through June. However, Alpine Valley is a private school where no such state requirements exist.
Still, some teachers and staff have chosen to wear a face mask.
“I’m kind of in the minority,” said staff member Jared Bean. “And nobody gives me a hard time about wearing one. I don’t give people a hard time for not wearing one.”
The school has six staff members and 35 students that range in age from four to 18. The Utah County Health Department said they have no record of COVID-19 cases at the school.
Cluff told KSL TV that those who have had the virus got it outside the school.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two people dead in Taylorsville after shooting
- Unified Police looking for missing teen from Holladay
- Washington County authorities investigating shooting of seven cows
- Utah Little League player, after fall from bunk bed, is making progress
- Utah middle school bans phones from entire school day
- Church announces names of 2 future temples; another temple rededicated
- Victim of fatal accident identified, SR 190 reopens in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- Three arrested for obstruction of justice in WinCo murder case
- Utah judge cancels hearing on trans athlete ruling in favor of written opinion