The price of a single dogecoin jumped as much as 20% on Tuesday to 42 cents, nearing Friday’s all-time high of 45 cents, according to CoinDesk data. On Twitter and Reddit, crypto enthusiasts posted memes featuring the Dogecoin logo, a Shiba Indu dog, with the hashtag #DogeDay and #Doge420.
Social media users also drew links between Doge Day and Weed Day, which is celebrated on April 20 by marijuana smokers.
Dogecoin’s popularity has soared this year, buoyed in part by the adoption of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies by business and mainstream investors.
Last week, the price of a single dogecoin doubled after Tesla CEO Elon Musk, its most prominent supporter and erstwhile public weed smoker, said “Doge Barking at the moon” in a tweet. He also shared a photo of a painting by Spanish artist Joan Miró, which is titled “Dog Barking at the Moon.”
Dogecoin is now the world’s fifth most valuable cryptocurrency, according to CoinMarketCap. Strong demand for the virtual currency briefly took down Robinhood’s crypto trading systems on Thursday, as the platform struggled to process a surge in orders.
Created in 2013 by a pair of software engineers as a joke, the cryptocurrency doesn’t have much real-world use outside of a few niche markets, including tipping online artists.
Unlike bitcoin, which has set 21 million as the finite amount of the digital currency, dogecoin has 129 billion coins in circulation and will continue to make new blocks of coins available to mine each year.
That’s part of the reason one dogecoin costs less than $1, while each bitcoin costs about $55,000.
— David Goldman and Diksha Madok contributed to this report.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- These school districts will not require masks for the final week of this school year
- Emergency order extended for drought, Utah Farm Bureau praying for rain
- One person dead, firefighter hurt in suspicious Bountiful house fire
- New poll shows majority of Utahns are concerned about housing market
- Several pigs dead after falling out of trailer on freeway
- House Republicans vote to make Elise Stefanik conference chair replacing Liz Cheney
- No masks required for the last week of school, Governor Cox says
- Sen. Romney and Rep. Curtis push bill that sets aside land in Illinois amid ‘land grab’
- Is it time to change careers? 41% of workers are considering it.
- Where to get a vaccine in Utah for 12 to 15 year olds