WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — First lady Jill Biden will visit the Navajo Nation Thursday, meeting with Navajo leaders as part of a three-day swing through the southwestern U.S.
First lady to visit Navajo Nation
The White House said the first lady will first visit Albuquerque, N.M., on Wednesday, where she will tour a health clinic in the city’s South Valley with Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham.
Thursday, Biden will visit the Navajo Nation, meeting with President Jonathan Nez and First Lady Phefelia Nez in
Window Rock, Ariz. Then on Friday, the White House said Biden planned to visit a vaccination site and sit in on a listening session with students.
The White House did not offer further details about the visit, but Nez told the Arizona Republic that Biden planned to also meet with the Navajo Nation’s second lady, Dottie Lizer.
About the region
The Navajo Nation extends across the Four Corners region, covering parts of Utah, Arizona and New Mexico.
Window Rock serves as the capital of the Navajo Nation, which was hit particularly hard by the COVID-19 pandemic. Cases continue to decline in the region now, but at one point, the rate of infection was much higher than the national average.
In November, the Biden transition team announced the appointment of Dr. Jill Jim, the executive director of the Navajo Department of Health, to serve on the then-president-elect’s COVID-19 advisory board.
Today’s Top Stories
- 7 things you didn’t know about ketamines for pain, depression, stress, and recovery…
- Say goodbye to extra Chick-fil-A sauce… for now
- Utah Adventures Are Waiting for Your Student | Experience One of the Best Summer School…
- Exclusive: COLD podcast obtains wiretap records in Susan Powell case
- Student volunteers helping at the Vice Presidential debate
- Walk-in lottery resumes for popular northern Arizona Wave hike
- Utah won’t see a spike in gas prices after major US fuel pipeline shutdown, says AAA Utah
- Utah high schools plan more in-person graduation ceremonies for 2021
- Utah counts nearly 100 new COVID-19 cases on Easter Sunday
- Cedar City Utah is your next weekend vacation | 6 awesome outdoor adventures you and your…